Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
HTX

2012 36 rl cutting the dryer vent hole

I'm ready to to it but before I do has anyone else done it successfully and can you give me the measurements? Top to bottom left to right so that I don't hit anything structural

Thanks

HTX
Old 12-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

No way to do it by measurement that I'm aware of as every make and model of dryer is different. We went to Walmart, got a piece of foam core poster board, taped it in the back wall and then placed our dryer in position and shoved it back with enough pressure to indent the board. In my case, I needed the hole through the wall directly behind the unit so this worked well.

Don't know if that helps you, but that's how I did ours.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
HTX

I had read that when searching posts and thought it was a great idea but what I am concerned about is what may be behind the wall where the hole goes. I figure that I can adjust the position of the washer one way or another or use a periscope to move the hole. I just don' want to hit anything structural on my way through it.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

We have a 2012 36RL also. Ours came with a Splendide combo washer/dryer. The dryer Vent and hole were already there when we bought ours used. I do not have a drawing or print of any of the walls, including the slide out box showing the measurements of the aluminum tubes in the frame work of the laminated sandwiched walls. Believe the aluminum tubes in the center of sections might be thinner walled than the perimeter tubing at the edges. You might want to email Redwood to see if they have a drawing of your Bedroom/closet slide out to be able to know if there are any alum tubes in there and where they are located. A good hole saw will be able to go through the aluminum easily. Like Vaughan stated, he used a piece of foam board to make the impression to know where to drill. Don't drill all the way through from the inside only, Make sure that your pilot bit has gone through the outside glass, then after taping off the area well to avoid splintering of the glass, carefully complete the hole from the outside.
You might be able to thump the walls with a small hammer or your finger knuckle to help locate the aluminum tube also, kind of like you would find a house stud behind the drywall. Sometimes when it gets cold and damp here I can see the lines from the tubes inside our painted exterior walls.
Location for your dryer vent will be determined by what brand washer/dryer, if they are separates or side by side etc.

Good luck,

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

On my last SOB I marked the spot then used awl/ice pick & poked through the paneling across the circle every 1/2-3/4" apart to be sure nothing in the way.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:14 AM   #6

When we installed the dryer vent through the side of the RV, we done basically the same thing as what Danny did but used a very small drill bit. We measured out where we thought it should go and then started test drilling. Between the outside and the inner wall was filled with foam insulation with no wires or lines in between them. I started out drilling from the inside going out until the center drill had reached the outside, then went outside and drilled it from the outside going inward. This made a smooth cut on the outside fiberglass.