Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

200 mile Brake inspection

I have been hearing about this 200 mile brake inspection.. I have to say that I cannot understand WHY we need to pay for this or even have it done ?? I have been RV'ing for over 30 years starting off in 19'TT that cost me $4,000.00... NOW I jump off the limb and make a major purchase of a high end RV , and they are telling me that there MAY be a problem with the brakes ?? I don't get it.. That is exactly what I am reading into this... Why else would I have to re inspect after 200 miles unless they think there are problems ?? Can anyone shed some light ?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #2

Mind boggling isn't it?? I'm with you. Traded in my 07 Cardinal for my 2016 39MB because I wanted an upper end luxury 5er (costing me upper end $$$!) and now I have to worry about this infantile c*@p!! If true....COME ON Redwood mgt. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! Can't make the rally this year but hope that those of you who do help to get answers for the rest of us concerning issue(s) like this one.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
Mind boggling isn't it?? I'm with you. Traded in my 07 Cardinal for my 2016 39MB because I wanted an upper end luxury 5er (costing me upper end $$$!) and now I have to worry about this infantile c*@p!! If true....COME ON Redwood mgt. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! Can't make the rally this year but hope that those of you who do help to get answers for the rest of us concerning issue(s) like this one.
Hey guys!

Just got back from vacation- glad I saw this while the thread is still young. Please know that we are VERY AWARE that this is something that needs to be addressed...and quickly. Not only will it be a topic of conversation at the Rally, but we at Redwood are meeting ASAP to discuss all things "breaks" related. You guys are not alone in this!! Be looking for updates- we won't leave you in the dark on this issue.

In the meantime, you know if you have any issues, you can always contact me directly and we can try to get it resolved :-) We don't want ANY of our Redwood family to feel that they are "hung out to dry" on any of these big issues!

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

I don't have high hopes will get the attention it needs at the Rally given the agenda, but I do hope folks that can attend demand the attention it deserves!

Warranty denials go well beyond the 200 mile brake service, there have been bearing denials for not having bearings inspected at 6 months as well. This is another laugh from the Dealer when you try to schedule a 6 month inspection - mine said see you in 2 years.

If you view the manually carefully, these "recommended" or "suggested" service intervals have actually become "mandatory" when it comes to warranty as some folks have experienced:

Per the manual page 49-54 (for those that can't find the manual, attached here at bottom):

• Inspect or repack the bearings every 6,000 or 6 months
  • If it sits for longer that 2 months, inspect and repack bearings if necessary.
  • Adjust the brakes after the first 200 miles (Redwood has told owners the transport doesn't count - See Marty51 at bottom of page 1 on this thread http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...work-3113.html).
  • Test brakes every 3 months or 3,000 miles and adjust as necessary.
  • Lube the pin box pin with axle grease monthly (not the premium lithium hitch grease, but "axle grease")
  • Inspect battery water levels every 2-3 weeks while in storage.
  • Rotate tires every 5,000 miles, and re-torque at 10, 25, and 50 miles.
Because mine sits in storage 8 months, I have already violated almost all of the service frequencies, but for those of you with new units, you need to be aware of what Redwood expects as determined by what they have denied other owners.

This is too big of an issue to put out by resolving hot spots - Crossroads needs to do a shakedown of their whole policy and decide what it really is then publish it for all to understand, especially the Dealers and Owners because both are sitting here with a "deer in the headlights" look when denied a claim for torn up bearings or brakes within the first year. Lippert is having a big influence on this, in their charming way, and I hope Crossroads/Redwood can lift their head above it and do the right thing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Redwood owners-manual.pdf (2.84 MB, 15 views)
Old 07-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #5

Yep I do all that according to the manual. yes I do

That's my story and I am sticking to it
Old 07-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #6

If you view the manually carefully, these "recommended" or "suggested" service intervals have actually become "mandatory" when it comes to warranty as some folks have experienced:

Per the manual page 49-54 (for those that can't find the manual, attached here at bottom):

• Inspect or repack the bearings every 6,000 or 6 months
  • If it sits for longer that 2 months, inspect and repack bearings if necessary.
  • Adjust the brakes after the first 200 miles (Redwood has told owners the transport doesn't count - See Marty51 at bottom of page 1 on this thread http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...work-3113.html).
  • Test brakes every 3 months or 3,000 miles and adjust as necessary.
  • Lube the pin box pin with axle grease monthly (not the premium lithium hitch grease, but "axle grease")
  • Inspect battery water levels every 2-3 weeks while in storage.
  • Rotate tires every 5,000 miles, and re-torque at 10, 25, and 50 miles.
..... .[/QUOTE]

Is there somewhere in the manual where it specifically states that failure to adjust the brakes after the first 200 miles will void the warranty? I'm hoping someone can point it out to me so I have don't have to go through all 100 pages of a manual that I am sure is an entertaning read for many of you, but not so much for me.

FWIW, I was reviewing online the manual for SOB as Vaughan and I were discussing this issue last night and I saw similar language to this and it raised the same questions. Seems recommended, but where does it specifically state it must be done or else? Also, what precisely is the cutoff? Is it exactly 200 miles? What about 175 or 250? Sorry, but the lawyer in me is kicking in.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

I called the technical support number today and asked the woman who answered the phone... she said I was in luck that the Redwood technical guy was next to her.. he told her that it is ONLY recommended by the dealers.. NOT MANDATORY BY REDWOOD.. but he then followed that up with the statement that my new redwood may not stop as good as my previous trailer because I have to change the setting to be electric/hydraulic.. and that my brakes are NOT self adjusting... I asked him to verify because on their site , it clearly states that they come standard with 12 x 2 self adjusting... and I believe all electric. ???????

very confused now..
Old 07-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

You should have asked him WHY other owners are being denied warranty because they failed to perform the 200 mile inspection??

Also VERY interesting that she said it was only recommended by the Dealers, when the Dealers are shaking their heads that they never heard of such a thing.

Some that were denied warranty for complete brake failure:

HairFairy
Marty51

to name a few.

Any communication with Redwood should be followed up with email documentation, because its a real crapshoot what answer you are going to get. I'm sure the 2 above would be interested in your documented answer you just got.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
"and that my brakes are NOT self adjusting... I asked him to verify because on their site , it clearly states that they come standard with 12 x 2 self adjusting... and I believe all electric. "

I have had mine apart (replaced with Dexter assemblies) and the OEM Lippert brakes are self adjusting.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

I wonder does a dealer or tech need to do all these inspection? Or can I just keep a log?
I mean brakes? Really? Disk are no different than my truck. Either pads are good or they are not. You will surely know if a caliper hangs. Trailer will pull to one side while stopping.
As far as electric. We all had the same for years. Nothing should be any different.
I think we all do some inspection of our own. I do most all repairs and maintenance on everything we have had. I do log it all for my own reference.
Sounds like a loop hole or way out for in this case several different manufactors.
I had my current rv at the dealer last winter for the first time . When I checked the brakes they were full of grease. Dexter replaced seals and new backing plate assembly with shoes. I paid labor. Good deal.
This wasn't a KZ thing but a Dexter thing.
I'm thinking Christian and company will rewrite this a bit. None of us have time to bring this thing to a dealer for inspection. Looks like my dealer might be 5 hours away from my home.
Be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azandy View Post
I wonder does a dealer or tech need to do all these inspection? Or can I just keep a log?
I mean brakes? Really? Disk are no different than my truck. Either pads are good or they are not. You will surely know if a caliper hangs. Trailer will pull to one side while stopping.
As far as electric. We all had the same for years. Nothing should be any different.
I think we all do some inspection of our own. I do most all repairs and maintenance on everything we have had. I do log it all for my own reference.
Sounds like a loop hole or way out for in this case several different manufactors.
I had my current rv at the dealer last winter for the first time . When I checked the brakes they were full of grease. Dexter replaced seals and new backing plate assembly with shoes. I paid labor. Good deal.
I'm thinking Christian and company will rewrite this a bit. None of us have time to bring this thing to a dealer for inspection. Looks like my dealer might be 5 hours away from my home.
Andy , did you guys find the perfect RV yet ?? any closer ??
Old 07-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Honestly not sure if the checks/logs have to be done by a certified tech or if they can be done by you (the customer). That is WAY outside my realm of knowledge! What I would recommend doing is emailing warranty@crossroadsrv.com and seeing what they say is acceptable for this procedure.

My apologies to those of you who have gotten the same answer! My department really does not deal with warranty work or information AT ALL. We are first and foremost customer relations, and definitely don't want to speak out of turn when it comes to big matters like this! :-) Know that we are listening, however, and are communicating these issues to the powers that be. THAT is how I can be of help- letting Redwood know what you guys need fixed and how we can be better as a company!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
Honestly not sure if the checks/logs have to be done by a certified tech or if they can be done by you (the customer). That is WAY outside my realm of knowledge! What I would recommend doing is emailing warranty@crossroadsrv.com and seeing what they say is acceptable for this procedure.

My apologies to those of you who have gotten the same answer! My department really does not deal with warranty work or information AT ALL. We are first and foremost customer relations, and definitely don't want to speak out of turn when it comes to big matters like this! :-) Know that we are listening, however, and are communicating these issues to the powers that be. THAT is how I can be of help- letting Redwood know what you guys need fixed and how we can be better as a company!
Thanks Christian.
That sounds good.
I will say as a member of other owner forums past and present, it is really great that y'all participate as much as you do. Really nice having some manufacturer support and updates right here on this forum.
I will check with Crossroads too. But not an owner yet so maybe some current owners could make the contact and report back. They may just tell me whatever I want to hear. Lol
Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #14

Lets talk seals...

with the stock factory 7K axles... who knows the size seals I need to stock.. I ALWAYS like to travel with spares..
Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
FTG
Look on the bearings and seal post and Ron put the numbers on
Old 07-15-2015, 02:55 AM   #16

Got it....thx
Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #17

just contacted Amanda from explore usa in seguin tx. She is going to contact one of her higher ups from explore usa to see what she needs to do with ours since I dropped it off for minor fixes before we head off for our vacation in August
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks Christian.
That sounds good.
I will say as a member of other owner forums past and present, it is really great that y'all participate as much as you do. Really nice having some manufacturer support and updates right here on this forum.
I will check with Crossroads too. But not an owner yet so maybe some current owners could make the contact and report back. They may just tell me whatever I want to hear. Lol

Thank YOU! We certainly haven't perfected the process yet...but we as a company really are trying to better our customer service AND understand how we can serve you guys better as part of the RW family.

I spoke with a contact this morning that will be giving us a really helpful and specific answer to the "200 mile" question over the next few days. Disclaimer: it might still not be the answer some of you guys are hoping to hear, but at least you will know EXACTLY what Redwood/the manufacturers expect...in language that makes sense to us all. There is hope, friends!!
Stay tuned
Old 07-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #19

I would be glad to give you 30 minutes of what a typical customer expects - reall easy and could have saved a LOT of back and forth form many of us...
Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #20

Someone at the rally should tape that and post after so those that can't attend will get the same information. I know I would appreciate it.